We just finished our unit on volume and surface area of prisms. I wanted to do something fun as an end project, and I decided on two activities:
1. The first one was to build a more complicated 3-D figure out of a given net.
2. The second one was to build tetrahedral kites. It has been a real success, the students are really into in and they just want to keep building them. It has been a great way to help the students recognise how to build a 3-D object and learn about volume and surface area of them. We are still working on them and planning on flying the bigger ones (photo #2) and then making one really big one and attempting to fly that. We will be doing some calculations on surface area and volume of the different sized kites as well. I will attach another video of flying the bigger kites next week.
This post is courtesy of Pam Rutten.